Arrest Warrant Attorney Serving Clients in Clearwater, Tampa, St. Petersburg & Greater Tampa Bay, Florida

During the course of an investigation, a court may  authorize a police officer to conduct a search or make an arrest. This permission to arrest someone or search  their property is called a warrant. If a warrant is issued for your arrest or to search your belongings, it is  essential that you be advised of your rights as soon as possible by an experienced warrant lawyer.

Charles Holloway, P.A., is former prosecutor who has  represented persons with arrest warrants throughout  the state of Florida, including in Pinellas, Pasco, and  Hillsborough Counties. Charles Holloway has also  represented out-of-state clients who believe they have a  Florida warrant and need a Tampa Bay Criminal Defense Attorney to help them with their case.

With a convenient office in  Clearwater, Criminal Defense Attorney Charles Holloway, P.A., can advise and represent you before, during, and after a warrant is issued. Backed by more than 30 years of combined legal experience, Charles Holloway can  help you in several ways with a Florida arrest warrant, such as:

  • Confirming whether a warrant has actually been issued and determining the amount of  the bond, if any;
  • Determining whether you should surrender to the jail or the Court and helping arrange for your surrender;
  • Protecting you from arrest until your surrender is complete;
  • Persuading the Court to set a bond (where none exists) or lowering an existing bond in order to obtain your release from jail;
  • Advising and defending you against the charges.

Courts issue warrants in a variety of circumstances. For example, law enforcement may  enlist the help of the State Attorney to draft a search warrant, which will then be  presented to a judge for approval. A similar process is employed when law enforcement does not initially arrest a suspect, but the State Attorney later decides to file charges. Once the charges are filed, the State can seek to obtain a warrant for the arrest of the defendant.

Arrest warrants can also be issued if you, as the defendant, receive notice of a court  hearing and then fail to appear. It is also common for a court to issue a warrant when a probation officer files an affidavit claiming that you violated the terms of your probation.

An arrest warrant can be issued for either a misdemeanor or a felony, with or without a bond. While most warrants are issued with a bond, warrants for violation of probation are typically issued without a bond. If a warrant is issued to you with a bond, you can choose to either surrender to the jail, post bond and be released, or you can retain a Criminal Defense
Lawyer to request a reduction of the bond before you surrender.

After the bond is set, you can either pay the bond directly to the jail or obtain the services of a bondsman. If paid directly to the jail, the bond deposit is held in escrow and is refunded
to the depositor at the close of the case. If the defendant posts his own bond, the court  costs and fines may be deducted from the bond deposit before the balance is refunded. If a
bondsman is retained, he will usually charge a fee totaling 10% of the total bond (e.g. $10,000 bond x 10% = $1,000 bondsman’s fee). The bondsman will also require some collateral (credit card, title to automobile or boat, title to property) in order to secure the defendant’s commitment to attend court. The bondsman then secures the defendant’s release from jail by guaranteeing to pay the total bond amount should the defendant fail to appear in court.

Another method of posting bond is known as the “property bond”. This utilizes the equity value of real estate to guarantee the bond directly with the court. This type of bond requires that the property exist in the State of Florida, and that its equity total more than the amount of the bond. For example, a property that has a tax assessed value of  $200,000 and a mortgage of $150,000, has equity of $50,000. Therefore, the property  could only be used for a bond that totaled less than $50,000. This type of bond also requires that the owner be willing to forfeit the property to the sheriff if the defendant fails to appear in court.

An Attorney can assist in the bond process in a number of ways. He can request that the court reduce the amount of bond, thereby saving the defendant money. He can also arrange for the surrender of the client to the court and request a bond reduction, both
at the same hearing. He can also obtain the cooperation of the Sheriff’s Dept. in postponing the arrest of the defendant while the surrender and bond hearing is pending with the court.

From search warrants, to failure to appear in court, to violations of probation, please call (727) 446-8303 to speak with Tampa Bay DUI and Criminal Defense Attorney Charles Holloway and set up your free initial consultation. He can meet with you personally in his Clearwater office to discuss your warrant and the legal options available to you.

Phone: (727) 446-8303